RETAIN Parental Leave Coach Certification Training Program
Program Agreement and Copyright Policy for Internal and HR Staff
The RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching Certification program is the first academically grounded, heart-centered, and field-tested coaching program to exist. Developed by Dr. Amy Beacom beginning in 2006, RETAIN is an evidence-based theoretical pedagogy and method for the growing field of parental leave coaching.
By clicking “Buy Now,” “Purchase,” or any other phrase on the purchase button, entering your credit card information, or otherwise enrolling, electronically, verbally, or otherwise, You (“Student” ) agree to purchase the RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching Certification (the “Certification” or “Certification Program”) provided by the Center for Parental Leave Leadership (“Company”), and you are entering into a legally binding agreement with the Company, subject to the following terms and conditions:
- GENERAL TERMS.
- Upon execution of this Agreement, electronically, verbally, or otherwise, the Company agrees to provide products and services in accordance with the Certification.
- The scope of products and services rendered by the Company pursuant to this Agreement shall be solely limited to those contained therein and/or provided for on Company’s Website found at: https://www.cplleadership.com/certification (“Website”) as part of the Certification Program.
- Student is responsible for his/her own success in completing the Certification and implementation of objectives met.
- Student will receive a unique login to access Materials and agrees not to share login or other Certification materials with any third-party.
- The Certification includes but is not limited to the following:
- Fourteen (14) weeks of live certification training
- Live Lab Sessions
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders (PMAD) training by Postpartum Support International (PSI)
- One (1) year of access to the RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching Portal, including materials, trainings, and access to the RETAIN Coaching Cohort Slack channel community
- Access to CPLL’s evidence-based and field-tested resources, guides, and materials within the RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching Portal
- Additional coaching, resources and/or support may be offered to help ensure Student’s success in finishing the Certification.
- For additional information on the Certification, expectations, and methodologies used by the Company, please refer to Attachment A.
2. CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS & TERMS.
- The Certification Program includes the training and coaching as outlined above and on the Website (https://cplleadership.com/certification/).
- In order to complete the Certification, Student must complete the coursework in the learning portal, complete each quiz with a passing grade, participate in the group practice Lab session with peers in the program, engage in one (1) month supervision while conducting two coaching sessions with a practice coaching client (provided by the Company or provided by the Coach), and then pass the RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching Certification Final Exam. If the Student fails the Exam, Student will have one (1) opportunity to retake it.
- Once the Student earns their Certification, the Certification will not expire and does not need to be renewed at any point. Advanced certification levels may be added in the future for an additional fee.
- Upon completion of the Certification, Student will have achieved “Certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coach” status and receive a certification badge to finalize completion. Upon completion, Student may refer to themself publically as a “certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coach” and use the post nominal abbreviation “R-PLC” after their name to denote certification. We encourage all Students to use these terms, and the RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching Certification Badge, professionally –including on Student’s business card, resume, website, social media profiles, etc.
3. LICENSE TERMS.
- Student receives a single-use, non-exclusive, irrevocable license that allows the Student to utilize the Certification Training Content (the “Training Content”) for use in Student’s own RETAIN Parental Leave Coach training and education only. This may not be shared with others within Student’s business or personal life. Any additional persons interested in learning these methods will need to apply, be accepted, and purchase their own RETAIN Coaching training and training portal access. These trainings remain in the education portal for the Student to access at all times and may not be removed for any reason.
- Students who are trained on behalf of an employer may not use Company Materials within their employer organization without a licensing agreement. This applies to Company Materials as-is, or those that have been customized or white-labeled. If Student and their employer choose to make their own materials separate from Company’s intellectual property (IP) and for use within their own organization, Company is available for expert consultation in the development of those.
- Becoming RETAIN Parental Leave Certificatied does not entitle Student or the Student’s employer to train others or to sell or otherwise teach the Certification Content or utilize the Training Content beyond Student’s own education. The Student may not use the Certification Content to “teach or train” others on how to be a parental leave coach. Should the Student be interested in training others, Company welcomes them to reach out to discuss/explore the best ways to help them reach their goals.
- For additional details on how to utilize the curriculum and training, please review Attachment A and contact email@example.com with any remaining questions.
4. PAYMENT AND REFUND POLICY.
- Upon execution of this Agreement, Student agrees to pay to the Company the full purchase amount.
- If Student is dissatisfied, they (or Student’s sponsor organization) may request a full refund via email to firstname.lastname@example.org within fourteen (14) days after the Certification start date. After this time period, no refunds will be given unless at Company’s discretion.
- Should Student request to leave the Certification prior to completion for personal reasons, he/she may be offered the opportunity to rejoin a future session at a discount – solely at Company’s discretion.
- Credit Card Authorization (if applicable for payment plan) – each Party hereto acknowledges that the Company will charge the credit card chosen by the Student for the amounts specified on the website. If Student selects a payment plan option, Student agrees to pay fees to the Company according to the payment schedule set forth on the Company’s website, or otherwise provided to Student, and the payment plan selected by Student (the “Fee”).
- In the event Student fails to make any of the payments within a payment plan during the time prescribed, Company has the right to immediately disallow participation until payment is paid in full, including disallowing access to membership site/portal, materials, and webinars. If Student has not paid within seven (7) days, the Company has the right to terminate the Agreement and remove Student from the Certification Program.
5. TERM & TERMINATION. The Term of this Agreement and Enrollment in this Certification will commence upon payment of the Certification Fee and/or upon Agreement herein. The Student agrees and understands that upon commencement of the Term of this Agreement, the Student will become enrolled in the 14 week RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching Certification Program. The Center for Parental Leave Leadership may terminate this Agreement at any time at its discretion upon notice to the Student and with a refund of Program Fees paid.
6. DISCLAIMERS. By participating in the Certification Program, Student acknowledges that the Company is not providing financial, legal, or other professional advice. The content provided does not replace use of a qualified professional. Student acknowledges that Company has not and does not make any representations as to a future outcome of any kind that may be derived as a result of use of this Certification, live teachings, Company’s website, or other programs, products or services.
Student’s participation in the Certification is at Student’s own risk and there are no guarantees as to any outcome. Any testimonials, earnings, or examples shown through Company’s Website are only examples of what may be possible for the Student. There can be no assurance as to any particular outcome based on the use of Company’s templates, modules, and/or other content. The Company may provide the Student with information relating to products or services that the Company believes might benefit the Student, but such information is not to be taken as an endorsement. The Company is not responsible for any adverse effects or consequences that may result, either directly or indirectly, from any information or services provided by a third-party.
7. RECORDING OF TRAININGS. Student acknowledges that group sessions and/or trainings may be recorded. Student also acknowledges that the recordings, and therefore Student’s voice and/or likeness, may be redistributed and/or be included in future Company products such as RETAIN trainings and/or certifications.
8. MEDIA RELEASE. Company may take photographs, videos, or audio recording during the Certification that Company may use for future commercial or non-commercial purposes. Client agrees and understands that by participating in the Certification, Client is consenting to being recorded and photographed and to the use of Client’s likeness, writing, and voice in any media in perpetuity by Company for whatever purpose as Company sees fit.
Student agrees that the Company may use any written statements, images, audio recordings or video recordings of Student obtained while enrolled in the Certification. This includes any content Company may publish to social media accounts and online forums as well as any statements, images or recordings, captured about Customer’s participation in the Certification. Student understands that any testimonials or written reviews may be used for marketing purposes and are intended to shine a positive light on both the Certification and Student as a participant.
Student waives any right to payment, royalties or any other consideration for Company’s use of such written statements, images, audio recordings and video recordings and Student waives the right to inspect or approve the finished product used by Company. The Company is hereby held harmless and released and forever discharged from all claims, demands, and causes of action which Student, Student’s heirs, representatives, executors, administrators, or any other persons acting on Student’s behalf or on behalf of the Student estates have or may have by reason of this authorization.
9. CONFIDENTIALITY. This Agreement is considered a mutual non-disclosure agreement. Both Parties agree not to disclose, reveal or make use of any information learned by either party during email communications, group sessions, on the Slack channel, in discussions with other members, or otherwise. Company may have access to Student’s business information for the purposes of fulfilling the Agreement only and will not share this information with any third-parties unrelated to that purpose. Student acknowledges that transmitting information through email or Slack communications is not a secure platform although the Company will do its best to keep all information secure. The Company agrees not to disclose any information about the Student’s business model, processes, systems or financial information of any kind without their explicit consent. All information will be considered confidential and not to be disclosed unless otherwise agreed in writing beforehand. Both Parties agree that any and all Confidential Information learned as of the date of purchase shall survive the termination, revocation, or expiration of this Agreement.
10. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS. In respect to the documents specifically created for the Student as part of this Certification, the Company maintains all of the copyright and other intellectual property rights. Nothing in this Agreement shall transfer ownership of or rights to any intellectual property of the Company to the Student, nor grant any right or license other than those stated in this Agreement. The Company reserves the right to immediately remove Student from the Certification, without refund, if the Student is caught violating this intellectual property policy and take any necessary steps beyond that. Student may not modify, publish, transmit, participate in the transfer or sale of, create derivative works from, distribute, display, reproduce or perform, or in any way exploit in any format whatsoever any of the content within the Certification or created by the Company, in whole or in part without Company’s prior written consent. If any derivative works are created even with this clause, they are owned wholly and solely by the Company.
11. NON-DISPARAGEMENT. The Parties agree and accept that the only venue for resolving a dispute shall be in the venue set forth herein below. The Parties agree that they neither will engage in any conduct or communications with a third party, public or private, designed to disparage the other. Neither Student nor any of Student’s associates, employees or affiliates will directly or indirectly, in any capacity or manner, make, express, transmit speak, write, verbalize or otherwise communicate in any way (or cause, further, assist, solicit, encourage, support or participate in any of the foregoing), any remark, comment, message, information, declaration, communication or other statement of any kind, whether verbal, in writing, electronically transferred or otherwise, that might reasonably be construed to be derogatory or critical of, or negative toward, the Company or any of its programs, affiliates, subsidiaries, employees, agents or representatives.
12. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES. The information, education, and content provided to the Student by the Company under this Agreement are provided on an “as-is” basis, without any warranties or representations express, implied or statutory; including, without limitation, warranties of quality, performance, non-infringement, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. Nor are there any warranties created by a Certification of deal, Certification of performance or trade usage.
13. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. By using Center for Parental Leave Leadership products and purchasing this Certification Program, Student accepts any and all risks, foreseeable or unforeseeable, arising from such transaction. Student agrees that Company will not be held liable for any damages of any kind resulting or arising from including but not limited to; direct, indirect, incidental, special, negligent, consequential, or exemplary damages happening from the use or misuse of the Certification materials. Student agrees that use of this Certification is at user’s own risk.
14. DISPUTE RESOLUTION. If a dispute is not resolved first by good-faith conversation and negotiation between the parties to this Agreement, any controversy or dispute to this Agreement will be submitted to the American Arbitration Association. The arbitration shall occur within ninety (90) days from the date of the initial arbitration demand and shall take place in Portland, Oregon or via telephone. The Parties shall cooperate in exchanging and expediting discovery as part of the arbitration process and shall cooperate with each other to ensure that the arbitration process is completed within the ninety (90) day period. The written decision of the arbitrators (which will provide for the payment of costs, including attorneys’ fees) will be absolutely binding and conclusive and not subject to judicial review, and may be entered and enforced in any court of proper jurisdiction, either as a judgment of law or decree in equity, as circumstances may indicate.
15. GOVERNING LAW AND SEVERABILITY. This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States and the State of Oregon, regardless of the conflict of laws principles thereof. If any part of this Agreement is deemed unlawful and/or unenforceable, all other provisions contained herein will remain in full force and effect.
16. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Agreement contains the entire agreement between the parties and supersedes all prior agreements between the parties, whether written or oral. If Student participated in a previous course offered by the Company, this Agreement supersedes and replaces any previous agreements.
Additional Information & Expectations
Our goal is respectful and honest communication. Should CPLL suspect that you have overstepped the bounds of what is outlined in this agreement we will start with a respectful and honest conversation. It is our belief that everyone entering into this work and industry has the utmost respect for the creation of this body of work and is motivated to provide the highest level and quality of support to their clients and each other.
At any time during our collaboration, things may change, or one or both of us may have questions or concerns. Respectful and honest communication can help us resolve issues and get back on track. In the event either party suspects a breach of this agreement by the other, or wishes to revisit the terms or seek clarification insofar as the terms of this agreement may apply to specific facts and circumstances that may arise, we agree to check in with each other in good faith to discuss how to improve the relationship or resolve a problem that one or both believe is hampering our ability to work effectively together.
We agree to base our conversations on the mission, vision and values outlined in this agreement. The following questions can also be used to help figure out a way forward:
- What do we most appreciate about the work we have done together so far? How can we expand on it?
- Are there outside influences (or money) affecting how we are working together?
- Is it time to redefine or redirect our work together?
- Is there something difficult we are avoiding saying or doing?
- What content was used in an inappropriate way as seen by CPLL?
- What was your understanding of the use of the content?
- How can we rectify and come to an understanding so we can continue our working relationship?
Access to the Certification Training and Curriculum
You understand that your participation entitles you to have sole access to the training program website, curriculum, and community network (meaning you can not share your unique access with others).
This program centers around training you in the RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching model and associated concepts. All RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching certification curricular materials, as well as The Parental Leave Playbook are subject to copyright law and cannot be replicated or repurposed..
Describing the expertise and certification you gain through this program
In order to state that you are a “Certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coach,” at the close of the program you will 1) show that you’ve participated in and completed the work for all modules within the training Portal and community Slack Channel, 2) complete an approximately one-month practice coaching intensive where you are working with an expecting parent and being supervised by the Center for Parental Leave Leadership, 3) successfully complete a written final exam to demonstrate your comprehension and learning, and 4) complete a checklist of self-assessment and administrative tasks. Once all requirements are completed you will be certified and are free – and encouraged! – to share publicly that you’ve completed this training program and are a certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coach. You may freely use the RETAIN Parental Leave Coach Certified Badge that you will receive upon graduation and use the post-nominal abbreviation, “R-PLC,” behind your name to signify you are a certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coach, for example: Eric Williams, MBA, R-PLC.
Usage of key lessons, templates, and materials in this program
Certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coaches who are trained on behalf of an employer may not use the copyrighted Materials provided within this training to teach or coach employees within their organization without an explicit agreement and/or licensing arrangement with the Center for Parental Leave Leadership. This applies to copyrighted Materials as-is, or those that have been customized or white-labeled. If the certified RETAIN Coach and their employer want to develop resources to support their employees, separate from the intellectual property contained within this program and for use within their own organization, CPLL is available for expert consultation and support.
The Parental Leave Transition Assessment (PLTA), aligned Parental Leave Transition Assessment-Manager Questionnaire (PLTA-MQ), and customized PLTA and PLTA-MQ Reports are their own unique products and may be purchased for use with employees at your employer organization (see more below).
The Workplace Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorder (W-PMAD) screening may be shared and used freely. We invite you to reach out with questions about sharing, we are happy to answer any questions and we will evaluate special requests on a case-by-case basis.
Certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coaches are strictly prohibited from teaching the model and certifying others in the RETAIN method (i.e. you can not replicate or modify this course and use it to teach/train others, such as the HR representatives or managers at your own or client companies, other members of your team, colleagues, clients, or other) or use the RETAIN Parental Leave Coaching title for any courses you or your employer offer without first talking to the Center for Parental Leave Leadership and gaining written permission. Certified RETAIN Parental Leave Coaches are able to explain the concepts and use the 3 Phase RETAIN model in their practice of coaching other employees through the parental leave transition within their employer, just not teach them the methods and skills to coach others. Partnerships or authorizations for such trainings are possible, so please ask! We want you to be successful.
Integrating the assessment tool into your work
The Parental Leave Transition Assessment (PLTA) is an unparalleled self-assessment designed to identify an expecting/new parent’s unique assets and liabilities in what we call their “6-S System for Transition Success”— six areas of impact that have an oversized effect on a new parent’s ability to navigate their parental leave transition with ease, and successfully and sustainably return to their career. There is an aligned assessment tool for use with the expectant/new parent’s manager called the The Parental Leave Transition Assessment-Manager Questionnaire (PLTA-MQ).
Once certified, RETAIN Coaches will be able to use the PLTA and PLTA-MQ and related reports within their organization’s and with expecting/new parents and managers on a pay-per-use basis, should they choose to. This fee allows us to offset maintenance and user support costs, and update the PLTA and PLTA-MQ over time to ensure it remains evidence-based and grows as new information and research evolves – our goal is to work tirelessly to make it an even more effective tool for you!
The Center for Parental Leave Leadership strives to create a robust community of RETAIN Parental Leave Coaches and all participants are expected to engage in professional conduct. By signing up for an event or program (such as this RETAIN Coaching certification), you agree to comply with these guidelines:
The Center for Parental Leave Leadership retains the right to remove an individual from the program and community platforms, including Slack, email, and any other groups, for harassment based upon, but not limited to, race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, gender identification, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law or inline with kindness and equity.
Harvesting of personal information, email addresses, documents, mailing addresses, phone numbers, etc., by any participant is strictly prohibited.
Posting materials in violation of trademark or copyright are prohibited. Profanity, offensive or inappropriate statements, documents or photos, uninvited advertisements, or inflammatory posts are prohibited and may result in removal from any event or program. The Center for Parental Leave Leadership, in its sole discretion, will determine whether materials and posts are in violation of these guidelines and may choose to remove the participant(s) from the event or program without having to justify why.
Any questions? Please contact email@example.com and we’ll help!
@2022 Center for Parental Leave Leadership (CPLL). All rights reserved. Confidential & Proprietary. No part of this document may be utilized for commercial activities, reproduced, copied, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, or by an information storage or retrieval system without express written consent from CPLL.
Updated August 24, 2022